Monday, June 7, 2010

Sydney

I flew to Sydney Thursday evening, checking out the bookshop at the airport and there were a couple of books on the list for sale there. But you have gotta love a bookshop that has a whole section dedicated to Australian fiction. I ducked in here during a downpour in Sydney and ended up spending an age trying to decided which of Dymock's quite extensive selection I would treat myself too. I think almost all their stock is held in the local libraries,


so in the end it was almost a coin toss. I decided on a book that had been published a while ago - this Patrick White title first being published in 1955.
While in Sydney I finished Dancing on Coral and never really warmed to it. None of the characters ever really endeared themselves to me and most of the book was set in the USA. And I started (and finished on the plane home) Walking to the Moon by Kate Cole-Adams. Just as in One Hand Clapping, this book featured a mother who left - and contemplated completely abandoning via suicide - her small daughter; a horrifying prospect and something that gave Anna, Helen and me some food for thought over dinner on Saturday night in Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment