Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Where biographers fear to tread


I have just finished The Lost Life by Steven Carroll. And this lovely book just goes to show that it seems to matter that we keep reading poets like T.S. Eliot. And because I haven't, I didn't recognise that this novel uses an Eliot poem as a leaping point. A nice review from The Australian has come to my rescue. Apparently, the setting of this book (in between-the-wars Britain) represents a bit of a departure for Steven Carroll who is described as more typically being a "suburban chronicler of Melbourne's outer suburbs". So I look forward to reading the other two Carroll books on the list.


Meantime, I will make a start on A Difficult Young Man by Martin Boyd. I bought a copy of this book from Correlli's Secondhand bookstore for the princely sum of $4.40.


And there are two library books waiting to be picked up on Saturday, including a Courtenay!

No comments:

Post a Comment