Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Rock was not a Reading Holiday!

We drove 2000 km, saw many amazing and fabulous places, did lots of beautiful walks ... but I didn't read many books. We turned in pretty early each night in the campervan and woke very early too, despite what is to us Q'landers a very late sunrise of 7.30! As much sleep as possible was the name of the game rather than reading long into the night.

Nevertheless, I did manage to finish Reaching Tin River by Thea Astley. An odd sort of a book about obsession and not fitting in. I finished reading it on the plane home today. Before our holiday, I hadn't yet got to the end of Robbery Under Arms but since that's a borrowed hard cover book with a paper cover I didn't think it would travel all that well. Now that we're back, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Marston brothers' most daring and deadly heist works out; not all that well I'd say, given the fact that the book is narrated from a hangman's prison cell.

There were serious temptations on the trip for a book lover - lots of books on the outback, aboriginal art and things indigenous, Australian history and so on, everywhere we went, including some excellent children's books and a whole shop dedicated to Australian books - see next blog post, forgot to put the photo on this one...


I had weakened by the time we got to Alice Springs airport and got this Kate Grenville book.







I did start the other Thea Astley book I had with me (Vanishing Points) on the plane home but not far enough into it to be totally hooked... so Robbery Under Arms it is tonight. If I can stay awake that long - it's been a big several days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment