Friday, February 11, 2011

Musk, Byrne, Bullboar Sausage

Thankfully, I finished Untouched a couple of nights ago. I have made a start on Musk & Byrne. And was quite amazed when bullboar sausage popped up! I was listening to an ABC radio programme, Bush Telegraph while driving out to Cooroy for a hospital meeting at the end of last year and was totally drawn into a story about bullboar sausage. It's a food that was introduced into the Victorian goldfields area in the late 1800s by Swiss-Italian migrants, the setting of Musk & Byrne. I'm only a little way into this book but far enough to know that I'm enjoying it - it's a good one. It's got a specific setting in an interesting period and place in Australia's history. The whole "bullboar" connection is such a coincidence. It's really helped to bring the story to life for me because the radio interview was really fascinating and well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment