Saturday, May 29, 2010

The First of the Library Books


Today, Dominic and I went to the library. I had reserved these two books ahead of time online; Dancing on Coral because it comes first on what is an alphabetic list, and Walking to the Moon because it was published in 2008, much more recently then the others I've been reading to this point.
And I am fascinated by who all these authors are. Moving to Australia 3 and a half years ago, I simply don't have the background to know these authors, the way I did of the authors and writers in NZ. So that's part of the project, too - to come to know a bit more of the history of writing here in Australia. So, I try and keep my eye on book reviews anywhere I can such as the Review magazine that comes with the Weekend Australian and I really like the book reviews in the Courier Mail, but we don't regularly get that. Reading, reading and MORE reading to be done!
Anyway, I was amazed to learn that Miles Franklin who wrote Brilliant Career, did so when she was just 16, while living in the bush! I wonder if she looked anything like Judy Davis who played her role in the movie, which I dimly remember seeing - no idea how long ago THAT would have been! And possibly that was the first time I'd ever seen Sam Neil in a movie (ignoramus again: is that the first movie he's ever been in?). I can see that I'm going to learn so much by reading all these books.
But as I sit here blogging, I'm clearly not reading. Which is what I want to do now, especially since Sybylla/Judy has just given Harold/Sam an almighty whip crack over his face because he dared moved in for a kiss after his marriage proposal!


No comments:

Post a Comment