Monday, May 31, 2010

A Shamelss Plug for Pamela Bakes at Page Two

When I first glanced through the list of FANs in the Australian Book Review article, I wondered just how many were available in the local libraries. I picked out what I thought might be an unusual book, Snail by Eric Dando. Nope, not in the library.

But the library website set me on a trail of really useful resources and within minutes I was able to establish exactly who had a copy of Snail. A site called Abe books suggested that Pamela Bakes at Page Two had the book and allowed me to leave an email message for the store owner.

Within a couple of days I had a lovely email from Pamela herself including her nice answer to what is probably a very common question for her: what's with the name of her shop? And here I quote: "I was going to call the business Page Two, which seemed like a good name for a second-hand bookshop. Then someone told me when selling online many customers prefer to know there is an actual person involved, not just a computer, hence I added my name, Pamela Bakes. Of course, for the first few years people thought I only sold cookbooks, but Bakes is my actual surname, not a play on words."

Nice one Pamela. And here's hoping we can manage a visit to Page Two when we're in Melbourne later in the year. If Snail's still on the shelf, then I may just snap it up (if not earlier online ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment