Friday, May 28, 2010

So, just how long WILL it take to read 290 books?




I like lists. And I like a challenge. So when I found a list published online by the Australian Book Review (ABR) of 290 Australian novels, and their wistful "Has anyone read them all, we wonder" ...well, I couldn't resist! Readers of ABR were asked to nominate their favourite Aussie novel and by the end of 2009, the votes were in. Tim Winton's Cloudstreet was the overwhelming favourite. So, I've read that one and have read a sprinkling of the rest. Ahead of me: years of reading! There are quite a few nineteenth century novels on the list and plenty more published before what has been an explosion of fiction publishing in the last couple of decades or so. So it's going to be a project that spans the decades and centuries, nice and wide-ranging indeed; not just the recent 'hot favourites'.
Here's a lovely old favourite: the book I'm currently reading is My Brilliant Career.


No comments:

Post a Comment